Monday, March 17, 2014

Almond Coconut Crusted Chicken






The recent happenings at home means I cared for Asher by myself for a few weeks in Singapore. It was a truly humbling experience, as I reflected on the mums who are single parents or who have partners flying in and out. Perhaps I missed hubby but more so, I missed that extra pair of hands to look after Asher.

Back in Singapore, I'm regularly faced with questions such as why am I not working? I guess the easy answer to that is Asher needs me and I have no other help in Perth. I'm sure that when the time comes for me to put him in day care, it wouldn't be a tear free (on my part) one. However, right now, I get to cherish time at home and I'm planning to do just that.

Staying in the moment or mindfulness is actually harder than it seems. As a mum and wife, my mind is constantly running a million miles an hour. This trip overseas, caring for my grandma made me realised how important is it to just cherish the minute that we are in. When Granny was in ICU, all i could think about was to be thankful that she is well looked after and be grateful for every extra trip I can make to the hospital to see her. Same thing when she returned home. I'm grateful for every cuddle she gave Asher as she slowly regained her strength.

Yet being mindful is so important to our well being. It makes me a better mum. I tell myself to be in the moment with Asher. He doesn't know that my mind tends to run away, but his delighted smile that I'm with him will always stay in my mind. It makes me a better wife. How many times I have to put down my social media equipment and just listened attentively to what hubby has to say? In food and fitness wise, it made me sit up and listen to my own body. Did I push myself too much? Or do I need to work on my strength further? I certainly hope it has made me a better person overall.


I try not to stress over meals. Or household chores. I try to use whatever equipment I have to help me to do my best to cook. It is no secret that I adore using my oven to cook. I love being able to set it and leave it. After settling bub into his night time slumber, hubby and I enter the kitchen and dinner is freshly cooked.



I was looking at jazzing up plain chicken breast without the use of breadcrumbs. Who doesn't like crispy chicken? This is a coconutty version of it. I happened to have moist coconut flakes but I think desiccated coconut would work just as well. The moist coconut flakes did add a little sweetness to it though.


Almond Coconut Crusted Chicken 
2 x chicken breast cut up in finger fillet size
1 cup of almond meal
1 cup of coconut flakes
1 tsp of paprika
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp of cinnamon
salt and pepper

2 eggs

Preheat oven to 200C. Line trays with baking paper.
Mix almond meal, coconut, spices and seasoning together on one plate. Egg beaten in another. Dip chicken into egg then almond meal. Place on trays. Oven baked it for 30 minutes or so. Serve with a salad.


 photo MTWsignature_zpsaefba23f.png

3 comments:

WokandSpoon said...

Definitely enjoy your time with your little one. They never stop changing and growing up! Love how your chicken looks - nice and spicy!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

oh my goodness he could not be any cuter! OH he is precious and I love this chicken. the almond crust is the bomb

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks delicious, so healthy and easy to prepare too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...