Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Jamie Oliver's Trapani Style Rigatoni



The best thing about Jamie's Oliver 30 minute meals cookbook is that once you get the hanged of it, it's actually really easy to replicate his dishes. It's usually rustic, hence I don't have to worry too much how it looks. Again, I have adapted and tried one of his pasta recipe with great success. I'm beginning to be excited with trying more food from this book now.

I goggled Trapani Style and found out that it represents a city in Sicily. What I like is that it has NO cream but yet it tasted creamy. The almond, fresh cherry tomatoes certainly did the trick. It was very tasty and addictive. I could finish that whole bowl by myself.

You can probably omit the anchovies as I didn't think it gave it any kick-maybe even substitute it with olives if you want it vegetarian.  I do love the taste of basil and fresh chili which certainly lifts the dish to another new level.

Silly me bought only 200 grams of cherry tomato and substituted it with a can of diced tomatoes on hand. It did the trick but left me wondering how much sweeter can this get if I used cherry tomatoes all the way.

Jamie Oliver's Trapani Style Rigatoni (Serves 4)
400 grams of Rigatoni
40 grams of parmesan cheese
100 whole blanched almonds
3-4 cloves of garlic 
2-3 fresh chili padi
2 large bunches of basil
5-6 anchovy fillets
200 grams cherry tomatoes
1 can of 400 grams diced tomatoes

Cook Rigatoni till nearly done.

Meanwhile, blitzed Parmesan cheese, almonds, garlic and chili till fine. Then add basil, anchovies and cherry tomatoes. When it turned into paste, add a dash of olive oil. Season. Heat a pan up and saute the paste. Add the tin of diced tomatoes. Add some water if it is too dry. Toss pasta through the sauce. Serve warm.

Photobucket

11 comments:

Little Corner of Mine said...

It certainly looks creamy and delicious. Coming from Jamie, it seem healthier.

Smoky Wok (formerly Tastes of Home) said...

great that it has no cream yet tastes creamy YUM must be from the cheese hehe..love Jamie's recipes and your pasta def looks delicious!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Look simple and comfort!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Looks like a winner dish for weeknight! I love Jamie Oliver, too. :-)

Kitchen Belleicious said...

Oh my gosh I am so glad you did this. I have seen this dish from him before and I have always wanted to try i. So glad you did and now i am writing it down on my to do list on my phone as I speak. Love using the chili padi and anchovies in it. I am one of few who actually like the taste of anchovies!

daphne said...

Ching- Yes! his recipes are growing on me!

JEn- very right! it is the cheese!!!

Sonia- it is!

Namie- ^5

Jessica- hope u like it as much as I did!

lena said...

not bad! the anchovies is an inspiration here, i see them selling on the shelves, they are quite expensive here, one day i might just get them and add them to my pasta!

Unknown said...

Oh that looks delicious! I love anchovy paste in pastas, such a wonderful addition :)

tigerfish said...

No cream but taste creamy! Hmmmm....never tried this style of pasta before.

Joanne said...

Rustic is my favorite way to describe my food! that way no one expects it to look pretty haha. Although this does look DELICIOUS! Then again, doesn't pasta always?

daphne said...

Lena-I'm glad you like it!!

Eva- ;)

Joanne- hehe, it doesnt look pretty at all this pasta but it sure tastes good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...